Doncaster Hockey Club is located in Melbourne, Australia – just 20 minutes out of the World’s Most Liveable City and in the sporting capital of the Southern Hemisphere.
We are a friendly, family oriented club, while boasting men’s and women’s teams in the top competition in Victoria. We have arguably one of the best hockey grounds in Victoria, clubrooms, canteen and bar. We hold a variety of club functions throughout the year. Over a number of years, we have had players selected in junior, senior men's and women's national teams, including current international Kookaburra’s Chris Ciriello and Josh Simmonds..
Recently we have had many international players especially from the UK and Spain. All have had a fantastic time and enjoyed the high quality Australian hockey!
We warmly welcome all new players, from interstate/overseas visitors, to experienced players transferring from other clubs and right through to new players who have never picked up a hockey stick before! Our club has a strong family focus that encourages participation at all levels of endeavour whether it be playing hockey, organising activities or enjoying each other’s company.
The Australian season runs from March through to late September so if you are currently playing hockey in Melbourne, or looking to move to Melbourne on a working holiday/gap year/student exchange in 2023 and are looking for a club to play for please feel free to contact us. We can assist by offering accommodation through a host family.
INTERNATIONAL PLAYER- TESTIMONIALS
What was the best thing about your experience at Doncaster Hockey Club- Australia?
- The people that I met from the club and welcomed me as member of their families is the best thing of the club by far. Also the experience of coaching kids and playing hockey with a different view of hockey makes you a better coach and player
- The atmosphere around the club and getting to know the Australian culture through a lot of amazing people who gave everything they had to make my experience one of a lifetime
- The general club atmosphere was a highlight however personally it was great to be involved with the women's side, taking fitness sessions and then being involved with preseason. The club provides a good mentoring process for young coaches
- The experience to play abroad and the nice people I met in Doncaster HC
- Playing hockey in a different country, with a slightly different approach to the game was good fun and refreshing. Doncaster has a great atmosphere around the club, all members and team mates were extremely welcoming to both me and my girlfriend.
- So hard to choose one of the best things about this club, everything was amazing but one of the best things has to be the quality of hockey and then friendliness of everyone at the club.
What would you say to anyone considering playing hockey at Doncaster Hockey Club?
- HIGHLY recommended. I was immediately considered a part of the family, teammates quickly turned into friendships and I felt like I had been a member of the club for years. I truly felt welcome from the moment I got off the plane and continued after I returned back home.
- I would highly recommend. Great atmosphere that makes everything easier.
- I would definitely recommend it! Doncaster is one of the best clubs in Melbourne, but very familiar at the same time... Perfect combination!
- Highly recommend it. It provides a great opportunity to get involved and make friends in a great area of Melbourne. Doncaster is close enough to the city to make day trips in but it is on the outskirts of Melbourne which gives you more opportunity to experience the bush and venture out into Central Victoria. Hockey standard will challenge anyone, Premier league in Melbourne is very good standard
- My girlfriend and I had a great time in Melbourne. Doncaster played a major role in this, allowing me to meet new people, make connections so that I could work and be able to enjoy the Aussie lifestyle. And to socialise with my team mates and other club members in and around Melbourne or at the AFL.
- I would 100% recommend becoming part of DHC, the facilities are outstanding, the people are so welcoming, the coaching is great and it also has a great social aspect to the club!
- Don't even doubt about playing for Doncaster, because it's a great club full of great people
- Fantastic club, fantastic people. If you want to progress your hockey then Doncaster will definitely challenge you no matter what level you play. Great base to see the rest of Aussie.